There are two basic coverage types provided by a flood policy. Building coverage covers the structure and utilities of a property. Contents coverage covers the items that you own, such as clothes, furniture, appliances, etc. If you rent your home you can purchase coverage for your contents. You will need to check with your landlord to see if they have any flood coverage for their structure.